Thursday, December 17, 2009

'Tis the Season

Once again the holidays are upon us. We get "surprised" that Christmas is coming so fast even though time is at a constant rate. Perhaps we just get lost in our work never thinking of something different when all of a sudden it's time to put out the decorations for whatever holiday it is at the time.

Aren't these holidays supposed to be cheerful? Why do so many people end up being depressed or angry over the last couple months. Well it's due to the commercialization of toys, electronics, and all that other fun stuff that makes us feel like we have something we needed. But it's not getting stuff that makes us upset. It's buying stuff for other people, making sure it gets ordered and shipped on time and meeting those over so stressful deadlines of 12/25. I'm not saying that everyone's selfish and they hate shopping for people. But trying to get everything and trying to make everyone happy can be a worrying experience.

And why do we have to have such a politically correct sense that we can't even say to someone "Merry Christmas." You never see anyone getting upset for wishing you a "Happy Hanukkah." When I wish people a Merry Christmas, I'm not saying that it is the only Holiday out there. I'm simply assuming with the majority of Christians in this country that the particular person celebrates Christmas. While I was working at Friendly's in Avon, I was scooping ice cream and a little kid comes running up on the other side of the counter and said "Mewwy Kwistmas." Now if I was on work I should be politically correct, but in this case I couldn't help but be touched at how much this little child loved Christmas so much that he could walk up to a random stranger and wish them a Merry Christmas. I don't regret it, and if anyone at my work had a problem with it I wouldn't bother with them and just go back to work.

With suicide rates up, peoples pockets empty, worrying about getting the wrong gift, and all the stress inbetween Thanksgiving and 12/26 the holidays are kind of a let down. But with all the specials on TV that remind of when we were young, and all the songs you can sing till they rot into your brain and stay their all day(Sleigh Ride for me right now) I can never seem too cheery till January.

Having said all of that, Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. bah humbug lol jk man keep up good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and merry christmas to you too

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen brother!!! we could always say merry christmahanakuanzica!!!!

    ReplyDelete